Water fire extinguishing systems are one of the most common ways of extinguishing fires by using a set of special equipment to extinguish fires through the water in the system.
Firefighting Equipment Manual Brochure
انواع روش های اطفاء حریق اتوماتیک آبی
A variety of methods of automatic blue firefighting
In the water fire extinguishing method, using wet pipes, there is water continuously inside the pipes, and in case of fire, the sprinkler opens and the water moves and causes the fire to be extinguished.
Dry pipe water fire extinguishing system
In the water fire extinguishing method, there is compressed air inside the pipes instead of water, and when a fire occurs, water replaces the air and leaves the sprinkler. Dry pipe water fire extinguishing system is mostly used in cold environments where water inside the pipes may freeze.
Deluge water fire extinguishing system
In a flood fire extinguishing system, the sprinklers of the system are open and are not sensitive to heat, and during the fire, water is quickly removed from all sprinklers.
Types of equipment for automatic blue fire extinguishing system
Automatic water fire extinguishing systems include equipment such as sprinklers, pumps and fire pump boosters, which are as follows.
Sprinkler (rain, geyser, water spray)
A sprinkler is a device of water extinguishing system equipment that is activated during a fire by increasing the ambient temperature and causes the fire extinguishing by spraying water in the environment. There are different types of sprinklers and how to install sprinklers can be either wall or ceiling.
Pumps and boosters Fire pumps
In water fire extinguishing systems, fire pumps are called centrifugal pumps that have a high flow rate and a pressure of 8 to 12 bar and are used to extinguish the fire. Also in large environments, instead of a fire pump, a fire pump booster can be used for a water fire extinguishing system. Fire pump booster is one of the equipments of water fire extinguishing system that uses at least two electric pumps to extinguish the fire.
Components of water fire extinguishing system
Water storage tank
Fire pump or sprinkler
Control valves and pipes
Application of water fire extinguishing system
The water fire extinguishing system in Class A fire, which is for fires caused by paper, fabric and garbage, is used in commercial, residential, warehouse, etc. buildings. The blue fire extinguishing system can also be used to cool class B and C fires. Try not to use the water fire extinguishing system in fires caused by electrical equipment, because it causes electric shock.
Advantages of water fire extinguishing system
One of the easiest ways to put out a fire is to use a water fire extinguishing system, as it is an effective method that the general public is familiar with. The benefits of extinguishing a fire with water include the following:
- Since water purification system does not require water purification, its use is abundant and cheap.
- Due to the low viscosity, water flows easily in metal and plastic environments.
- It is a suitable coolant due to its high heat tolerance and latent heat of evaporation. It is 5 times cooler than carbon dioxide fire extinguishing system.
- Water is a heat-insoluble substance that decomposes only 0.1 at 2000 degrees.
Weaknesses of the water fire extinguishing system
Apart from the benefits of a water fire extinguishing system, in some cases the use of a water fire extinguishing system is dangerous and not only does not have extinguishing properties but also causes the fire to ignite.
- Water is very heavy and difficult to transport to put out fires.
- Water is a conductive material, so when a water fire extinguishing system is used, there is a risk of electric shock if the power is not cut off.
- Because high pressure water is often used in the fire extinguishing system, water, buildings and equipment may be damaged during the firefighting operation.
- Sometimes water can combine with materials in the building and cause damage to them, such as books, fabrics, medicine, and so on.
- Because water is sprayed with water in a fire extinguishing system, flammable liquid is thrown, which in turn fuels the fire.
- Since water has a surface tension property, it is not possible for water to penetrate into the mound of material when the water fire extinguishing system is activated.
Price of water fire extinguishing system
The price of a water fire extinguishing system varies depending on the type of system and equipment used. For example, the use of an automatic water fire extinguishing system is much more than a manual blue fire extinguishing system. Also, fire extinguishing through a fire pump booster has a higher price than installing a sprinkler.